Until the middle of the 19th century it was called what is now Norrmalmstorg for Packartorget. It was a rather unfortunate and highly smelly place where the fishermen were inspected and packed in the Packar House, where the criminals and other unfortunate people were punished by tools such as the scallop and the penitentiary. The square was at the mouth of Nybroviken, which with the land elevation was turned into a smelly, contagious marsh, called the Cat Sea. During the 1850s the marsh was again filled and Berzelii park was set.
In 1853 the square was renamed to Norrmalmstorg. In Albert Lindhagen's new city plan from 1866, Norrmalmstorg came to form the focal point in the growing royal capital's most centrally representative streets. From here, the shopping boulevard Hamngatan, which was eastward poured out into Nybroplan and the emerging Strandvägen, Stockholm's most prestigious address.
In the 1890's Albert Jones Grillrestaurant was in the corner of Hamngatan. Grilled meat was a news in the restaurant industry. It became popular to hang on Jones for unleashed young gentlemen. They were called "barbecue guys". After that, the restaurants have come to the "Gillestugan at Norrmalmstorg", "Blue Cave on Capri" and most mention is Restaurant Metropol, which became a meeting point for literators, artists and actors. Metropol was closed in 1917 when the house was to be demolished and replaced by a bank palace. Metropol resumed 1926-1927 in the corner Sveavägen / Odengatan.